Map of South America

Map of South America
I am sailing down the eastern coast of South America.

Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Second day in Savador

        My second day in Salvador was as amazing as the first. The first thing that we did was go to the magnificent local market. This market was nothing like our kinds of supermarkets, for the markets in South America have a way different meaning. This one had tons of different kinds of fruits, from giant bananas to tiny green umboos. The only thing that this market had that was different from the one in Belem other than it had a roof, was that it had lots of fish. And not just fish, lots of sea animals fresh from the 32 island bay that Salvador is by, such as blue crab, octopus, shark, overgrown lobster, squid, and huge shrimp. It was an amazing array of delicious sea animals. The main reason we went to the market was that so our tour guide could show us what ingredients we would be using in our later cooking class, but we decided to buy some local fruits also. After we were done with the market, we drove in our bus to a older woman's house. We were there for a cooking class, for her son and daughter (who lived with her) were excellent cooks. After our delectable Brazilian meal of fish, salad, rice, and pumpkin, we followed the owner of the house down to her studio. She was an amazing artist, with a very interesting style of painting. She would make layers and layers of different colors of lines going every way possible. She said that she worked on these paintings on any free time she had, and I knew that was true. The whole studio was filled with paintings that she had done, and so was the house. Every single chair and table had this style of painting all over it. I was amazed at how much work she had done in this house, not to mention all the paintings she had sold to people, places, and even huge companies like Mercedes Benz! Of course everything was very expensive, so I only got a small box that she had painted. I loved going to this interesting house, and I hope I can learn how to paint that well. Today I arrive in Buzios, and I bet it will be just as cool as Salvador.

1 comment:

  1. I enjoyed your day at the school. The picture of you and Logan drumming is very special, I don"t see Luke? I liked your encouraging words that those guys wouldn't be on the street's

    ReplyDelete