Map of South America

Map of South America
I am sailing down the eastern coast of South America.

Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Dr. Canessa's House

I bet everyone has been waiting so long for this entry to finally be written. Sorry about that. As I said in my last post, Dr. Canessa invited my family and some other people from the ship to his house for dinner. The ship was currently in Montevideo, the capital of Uruguay, and the place where Almost all of the plane crash survivors live. He had a really cool house, made up of two original houses that they connected. Earlier that day, Dr. Canessa had taken the rest of his family on board the ship to have lunch. We were able to sit with them and talk a little bit. After they were done eating, my two brothers, mom and dad, piled into Dr. Canessa's car and headed off to his amazing house. Of course this was earlier then the rest of the guests. On the way to his house, Dr. Canessa let me use his cell phone to call Nando, the other survivor that made the hike with Dr. Canessa. I called and asked if he could come to the party, and he said maybe. That night, around 9:00, other guests started arriving, hungry for the delicious pizza that was being made over an open fire. Dr. Canessa's wife had kept every single newspaper article about the crash, and now she had big plastic boxes filled with news about it. But that is not all. She also had all the clothes that he had worn of the incredible hike across the Andes. I put on the uncomfortable, stiff shoes that he had worn and walked around in them. The three sweaters that he had worn were right there also, even the belt that Dr. Canessa had worn during the whole disaster. We were eating pizza in the room where the old rugby team used to come to watch films on their next opponents, when someone new walked in. It was Nando! I couldn't believe that he had actually come! Nando only stayed for a little bit, but I was so glad that I actually got to see him. After the party, a big bus came and picked us all up. Hopefully Dr. Canessa will come to Durango to ski sometime, or maybe I could go back to Uruguay to ride on horse back to the sight of the crash, like he invited us o do. Whatever happens I know that this visit was not the last time I would be seeing Dr. Canessa.

1 comment:

  1. Yes I was waiting to hear about the dinner party on the blog, I enjoyed hearing about it when you were in Dallas.How awesome that you got to walk in Dr. Canessas shoes. I know that you will never forget Dr. Canessa and he will always remember you. All of your posts were good,but these last 3 had me on the edge of my chair,Ifelt all of the journy. Keep writing!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete